Friday, June 20, 2008

Cooking in Holland

Probably the largest shock for me here in the Netherlands is the food. It seems they don't like food very much and tend to put "stuff" on a slice of bread (1 slice) and call it a sandwich. Shopping for groceries turns out to be quite a challenge since most people in the grocery store don't (or won't) speak English, and we are getting some surprises. Too bad the food doesn't have an English translation on the label. For example, this morning I opened up what was supposed to be bacon (at least to the eye) and found a very thin slice of bacon (like prosciutto except a pinker color) wrapped around a lump of pink ground meat. Google tells me that the label says the meat is actually beef, but last I checked beef was red. Anywho I'm sure I will fry it up in my standard issue wok and put it on 2 slices of bread. But at last I have my coffee pot so all is well, I just need to find better coffee it seems even LavAzza is weak here.

4 comments:

DianeM said...

The only reason ground beef is red is b/c the processers put something in the air around it to keep the red color. Just thought you should know.
~Diane

Cheryl said...

As in all ground beef or just the ground beef in the Netherlands?

DianeM said...

You said it was a different color in the Netherlands. Well that's probably b/c they don't put that stuff in the packaging.

Andy R. Terrel said...

I think it turned out to be some sort of sausage. Apparently the package was for both kinds of meat. We bought some more that was clearly beef but the package looks about the same.