Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oslo Boats 08-30-08

So let's get the "those aren't boats" out of the way, first. This first photo is a lighthouse. I won't tell you what that has to do with boats, except that they're important.

Our next items are also not boats [anymore]. They were Viking ships - you know those things that carried marauding rapists and pillagers to England until King Arthur united the Saxons... Wait. No. Well, anyways, they carried marauding rapists and pillagers to various places. Some of them also carried people who decided to settle in the areas where they first went about marauding as rapists and pillagers. I have to wonder if they in turn were raped and pillaged by their marauding kin on a return trip... Oh yes, and that fellow in the photo is our friend Peter. His ancestors were the marauders who raped and pillaged England... That could explain a few things now that I think about it... 0=D

And finally, it IS a boat sort of thing - a cruise ship. There were several in the harbor, and since I don't think they're very interesting, I only put one picture up. 0=) Hey, they're MY vacation photos, if you don't like them, you don't have to look at them! =P

Clearly, Han Solo was a Russian. If he weren't, Princess Leia would never have had cause to say, "You fly in that thing? You're braver than I thought." Those were my thoughts when our boat tour took us past a Russian battle ship sitting in the Oslo harbor. Check out all the rust along the water line. That's something I've never see on American battleships.

And last, but not least, some sailboats for my friend Matt. Of course, I like them too, but he REALLY likes them, and I would probably never actually want to be on one except on a lake or a harbor like Oslo where the waters are smooth. Puking is not my favorite activity...

No comments: